Friday, November 18, 2005

70. Sevendust / Animosity. 2001. 3/5.

This again was a pleasant surprise when I first heard it. Having been pestered by young cricketers (21 year olds...) that I play cricket with of a Saturday that I should listen to this album, I finally got around to getting a copy of it.

What I heard was not what I had expected. Indeed, it was in fact an album that immediately showed the various strengths of this band, and their versatility in the music they produce.
The early songs are very raucous (along with some of the trademark screaming that bands used at the turn of the century). As the album moves along, the songs flatten out into a more melodic metal sound, that is pleasing to the ear (at least, more pleasing to the ears of those who came in to work tonight when I was playing it at 1000 decibels).

In some ways, they are an updated, perhaps heavier version of Faith No More. They share a lot of similar characteristics with them, which certainly come through to me in songs such as Redefine.

I was very impressed with both this album, and the band as a whole. Great stuff from a more modern metal band than this dinosaur is used to listening to.

Rating : One of the better recent arrivals. 3/5.

No comments: