Thursday, November 10, 2005

49. Alice In Chains / Alice In Chains. 1995. 2/5.

Let's say this from the top. This album was a major disappointment for me. It was just one of those albums that I had built myself up so much for, and was then let down really badly.

When this was released, there was obviously trouble in the ranks, mainly to do with Layne's drug problems. That's not to say that this affected the album. To me, though, the balance of the album seems to have swayed away from what it was on the first two albums.

The songs on this album slowed down considerably, grunged even further, and don't seem to have the magic that earlier compositions do.

Is it just me? Am I just a negative nelly, who has failed to see the whole picture? Perhaps. But I really tried to like this album, and really couldn't do it.

Memories : Driving out to Hill End and Sofala, me in the back seat of the car with Helen and Jodie in the front, playing this album twice in a row to see if I could like it, and listen to it that frequently. It came off on the second time after three songs, and something of Helen's went on instead – which, dreadfully, I enjoyed more!

Rating : A shame after their previous efforts, and a shame to finish their recording careers together. 2/5.

No comments: