Thursday, November 03, 2005

36. Scorpions / Acoustica. 2003. 4/5.

Acoustic, or unplugged, albums, if done well, can be just brilliant. Nirvana and Alice In Chains are two that come to mind immediately. However, I must admit that, in general, I tend to shy away from these kind of releases.
When this first came out, I think I made a crass comment about “selling out”, and refused to even consider listening to it, for fear of how bad it would be.

Error.

This is just a fabulous album. Scorps have always written songs that would suit this treatment, and they are done magnificently well.With some female back-up singers to help out, and some strings as well to help fill out the sound, this is just a brilliantly done album.
All their best 'ballad' hits are here – Always Somewhere, Wind Of Change, Still Loving You. Then some rockers, like The Zoo and Rock You Like A Hurricane. And also some special covers, The Cars hit, Drive, Kansas' Dust In The Wind, and Queen's Love Of My Life.

Rating : This is yet another example of my prejudices robbing me of having had this album for years instead of months. Truly a great performance of these songs. 4/5.

No comments: