Thursday, November 24, 2005

80. Michael Schenker Group / Assault Attack. 1982. 4/5.

Way back in 1986, this was the first album I heard of the Michael Schenker Group. And it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

MSG have had a number of vocalists, and one of my favourites is Graham Bonnet, who appears on this album.
Schenker's guitaring dominates, as it should, but Bonnet's vocals are just as characteristic of this MSG era as the leader's guitar licks.

There are a couple of songs I'm just not sure of, though. Dreamer is a real Whitesnake/Kiss sort of girl-number which is fine, but not really in the general mood of the rest of the album in my opinion. Assault Attack, Desert Song, Searching For A Reason and Samurai are the stand outs on the album.

Memories : My old, worn, cracked cassette copy of three songs off Assault Attack, which Kearo had taped for me on the backend of Dio's Holy Diver. I remember the first time I heard the start of Desert Song, and was immediately taken. Just brilliant.

Rating : A couple of songs bring it down. 4/5.

No comments: