Thursday, November 10, 2005

40. Tool / Aenima. 1996. 3/5.

It took me a damn long time to get my mind around Tool. Most of my early tastings of the band were snippets off 2JJJ radio, and pieces at certain pubs that I frequented while living and drinking in Sydney. It was difficult to get a handle on them.

By the time I was back in West Kiama, Kearo had become fascinated with them, and as such I was able to get hold of an album, and listen to it as a whole, and without distraction. That first album was Aenima. Even then, it took some time to come to appreciate it. It was different from what I had been enjoying of lat, and I needed to get through that.

So now? Well, yes, I can see what so many people (most of them kids these days) see in Tool. Aenima lumbers along, occasionally breaking out into a faster pace, but generally staying in what I would call an ‘industrial’ metal sound. I can now appreciate it for what it is.

Rating : Aemina is middle ground for me – not one I would immediately put on to listen to, but not one I would never listen to. 3/5.

No comments: