Thursday, November 10, 2005

42. Gary Moore / After Hours. 1992. 3/5.

Who the hell would have thought? A ‘blues’ album that is worth a rating such as this?!!

Well, it must be said, Gary Moore does a great job on this one. The follow up to his Still Got The Blues release is a bit more of a return to his guitar roots, with good songs and good guitaring. And most of it is catchy stuff. Certainly the first half of the album has passed, and I was thinking, “Why don’t I remember it as being this good?”. Is it because I am older, and more appreciative of the art form? Or was I just ignoring it when it was released, because it wasn’t metal?

Whatever the reason, come the second half of the album, it does move back into the traditional blues stuff that doesn’t grab me as much. And perhaps this is what I remember of it.

Despite this, not a bad album at all. Cold Day In Hell would fit on any early Gary Moore album, despite its blues tendencies. That is a pretty good mark in itself.

Rating : This is an enjoyable listen, when in the right mood. 3/5.

No comments: