Friday, May 05, 2006

185. Y&T / Contagious. 1987. 3/5.

Continuing on in the same vein as they had for most of the decade, Y&T brought out this next chapter to the sound of a brick falling on concrete – an enormous thud.

Is this album that much different to their others. Well, not at all if you are asking me. Y&T produced a series of albums that were all in the same style, of the 80's hair metal variety, and they didn't really stray from their formula – and as it was successful, why would you?
After a diet of the same thing for so long, though, perhaps people decided enough was enough.
I know that listening to this album again tonight, I felt it was struggling to offer anything new, and that the old it was offering was just a little stale.
Having said that, I still enjoy this album, and perhaps that is more from a nostalgic point of view than anything else.

Favourites for me include Contagious, Fight For Your Life, Armed And Dangerous and Eyes Of A Stranger.

Memories : I bought this in 1988 at Illawarra Books & Records (second hand store), not long after I had first purchased Mean Streak. I played it endlessly for about a month. I loved the vinyl days. I prefer the sound from a CD, but nothing beat buying an album, and going over the inlays and stuff for the first time.

Rating : Still an average album for the times. 3/5.

No comments: