Friday, May 12, 2006

199. The Cult / The Cult. 1994. 1/5.

Oh dear. This was a MAJOR disappointment.
Of course, you can build yourself up too much for a new release, and I probably did with this album. It had been awhile since I had listened to The Cult by this time, and when I heard they had a new album coming out, I was amped.

Error.

This is dreadfully boring. It has no real rhythm to it, nothing in the way of a hook to drag you in and make you want to stay. Did they really want to do the album? Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy went their seperate ways for a number of years after this album. Maybe they had just reached that stage of their careers, in the same way Faith No More did.

Memories : This came out in 1994, just as The Cult announced they were headlining the Big Day Out that year. I was very excited... until I had the album. A couple of weeks later, Helen and I along with our friends Troy and Janet were unable to procure tickets to the event. I was not even concerned about it having put this CD on!

Rating : Sorry. I can't like this at all. 1/5.

No comments: