Friday, May 12, 2006

201. Iron Maiden / Dance Of Death. 2003. 4/5.

High hopes were held for this album prior to its release. The band had now been back together for four years, released a 'comeback' album (Brave New World), toured most of the world extensively, and had a little break before bringing this out. On our front, we hoped for heavy songs that utilised the three guitarists in more intricate modes than had ever been heard before.

Well... we didn't really get that...

On reflection this evening, I must say that to me there are great gaping chunks on this album, which is surprising given the writers and performers. In a lot of ways, I think they were trying to get a little too cute with this, experimenting and playing some stuff that they don't usually tackle.
"Wildest Dreams", the album opener and first single, just doesn't cut it for me. It is easily the worst opening track on an Iron Maiden album ever, and though it was up against some tough competition in this category, surely someone must have noticed its weakness. "No More Lies", "Montsegur", "Age Of Innocence" – they don't do a lot for me personally.
Of the two epics on the album, the title track "Dance Of Death" has a great deal of support from friends of mine as a great song. I don't see it that way. I think it is over-indulgent. The same with "Journeyman", the soft acoustically driven closer, which disappoints me greatly. I'm not spitting on them, just voicing my concerns.
Flip to the other side of the coin. "Rainmaker" is a brilliant Maiden song, pacey and vibrant. "New Frontier" is in the same vein. "Paschendale" is an epic up there with "Rime of The Ancient Mariner", "To Tame A Land" and "Alexander The Great". "Face In The Sand" continues that vibe on the album.

As I intimated on my review of Brave New World, I guess I judge Maiden albums more harshly because of who they are, and what they have done in the past. I can see and hear the holes in this album, but I still appreciate it for what it is.

Rating:  This was still in my CD players for six months after its release, so it can't be too bad, can it?  4/5.

No comments: