Friday, May 26, 2006

228. Ratt / Detonator. 1990. 3.5/5

More of the same from the boys, who head into the new decade with the same formula that has got them through the 80's.

This is a catchy album, in a repetitive kind of way. You can put it on, as I did at work tonight, and tap away to it, or bop your head, or whatever it is you tend to do when an album with a beat comes on. And that is all fine and well. I use this as a technique to decide if I can listen to an album. So it works on that level.
But it doesn't really offer anything new, and this was the problem for me when I first got it. I put it on and enjoyed it for what it offered. But it had nothing that makes me keep wanting to come back to it! Whereas Out Of The Cellar and Invasion Of Your Privacy have that magical quality that lead you to putting on the disc time and again, this really doesn't have that. I like the album and I enjoy listening to it... but that indefinable quality is missing.

Favourites for me on the album include Shame Shame Shame, Hard Time, Heads I Win Tails You Lose, Can't Wait On Love and All Or Nothing.

Rating : I may appear to be bagging this album a bit, but I'm trying not to. It is a good album and easily listened to, with Ratt's distinctive style. 3.5/5.

No comments: