Friday, May 26, 2006

234. Alice In Chains / Dirt. 1992. 5/5.

Following on from their brilliant debut album Facelift, Alice In Chains came back with this follow-up, and stunned the alternative music world. Few thought that they could match the kind of anger that they produced on that first release, but they were wrong.

From the opening guitar in Dam That River it was obvious that Alice In Chains had taken themselves to another level. Layne's angst-ridden aggression-filled virtuoso's. Jerry's perfectly crafted 'killing-me-softly' lyrical sledgehammers. Their unbelievable harmonies, the blending of two voices that makes Alice In Chains who they are.

Choosing favourites is a bit unfair on an album such as this, but take Down In A Hole, Rooster, Rain When I Die, Angry Chair and Would? and you would have a pretty good list.

Memories : I saw Alice In Chains live on this tour at the Hordern Pavilion in Sydney, supported by, of all bands, Suicidal Tendencies! It really was an unbelievable gig, and even though Layne was not 100% (a flu he told us, though you had to wonder) he was still superb. I bought this album from the record club I was in at the time, and the day it arrived I was at home alone. I put it in my CD player – and it didn't leave it for weeks.

Rating : Just a sensational album for that period in music history. 5/5.

No comments: