Thursday, May 18, 2006

206. Danzig / Danzig III : How The Gods Kill. 1992. 4/5.

Sometimes during your life an album can burn a certain event or memory into your brain, so that everytime you listen to that album in the future, it takes you back to that time. How The Gods Kill does that for me. It spent weeks on my tape player when we owned the nursery in Kiama when it was first released, and I always imagine the place when I put this album on.

This was my introduction to Danzig, courtesy of Holzy, and it probably holds such an esteemed place in my heart for this reason. It must be an album of substance to take a hold when it is the early influence you hear of the band, and that is the case here. Danzig's vocals, along with the wonderful mood that the band put out there, make this a great experience.

Faves for me here include Godless, How The Gods Kill, Dirty Black Summer, Sistinas and Do You Wear The Mark.

Memories : Apart from those mentioned above, I saw Danzig at Selinas on this tour, which was quite an experience. Holzy saw Eerie Von in the crowd before the show, dragged us over while he spoke to him for about 30 minutes. Then, labouring on the track to the top of Minnamurra Falls at that time of my career, and having done a looooooong week, I managed to miss the last half hour of the concert, as I fell asleep on the floor of the top deck of the venue, despite the loudness of what was happening around me. Sensational stuff...

Rating : I still love it after all these years. 4/5.

No comments: