Monday, February 18, 2008

292. Sebastian Bach / Angel Down. 2007. 2.5 / 5

A new Seb Bach album was something I hadn’t even thought of, until Amazon sent me a reminder that Angel Down had been released, and that I should check it out. And so I did.

OK, so it’s not a masterpiece. In fact, it sounds like someone who is searching for their youth once again, to rediscover the spark that made them who they are. And perhaps that is what I am seeking from him also, which is going to be difficult to achieve.
So, to my ears, this sounds like a great mishmash, between trying to find the heaviness of Slave To The Grind, the ballads of Skid Row, and a modern kind of hard rock radio friendly type vibe. In the end, it doesn’t really work on any of those levels. He’s certainly given it a go, and there are songs on here that you can listen to and enjoy, just not to a level that I guess I was hoping for.

The appearance of Axl Rose of three tracks is amusing. Can’t seem to release an album of his own, but he can find time to drop by and do a duet on three songs with Seb. Of the three, “(Love Is A) Bitchslap” is probably the most effective.

Best for me on the album are “(Love Is A) Bitchslap”, “You Bring Me Down” and “Live And Die”

RATING: This is still better than the stuff Skid Row are bringing out these days, but it is generally just average. 2.5 / 5.

No comments: