Wednesday, February 20, 2008

300. Trivium / Ascendancy. 2005. 3/5.

Another in the line-up of bands to be suggested as saviours of the metal genre in the new century, and another of the bands that I think have just missed the mark a tad.
Yeah OK, I’m old, and I know what I like, and I probably want everything to be an extension of that, and I know that won’t happen.

Trivium are another band that dice with the scream/clean vocals, and of course you either like it or loathe it. I’m never a big fan of it, and yet there is a twist here on Ascendancy. Whereas those songs that concentrate on the growling work for the most part, “Dying In Your Arms” comes up weak and lifeless, probably because it has a lack of those exact type of vocals.
In fact, it is that song that suggests to me that there is a hook which, if it disappears, so does the popularity of the band.
I digress…

For me, this is an average album from an average band. I don’t dislike either – in fact, I think my rating is indicative of that. However, it isn’t something I can put on too often, nor listen to over and over again. To do so just gives me a headache. Some out there may just think that is old age, and I couldn’t disagree.

Favourites for me include “Rain”, “Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr” and “A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation”.

Rating: The Album is over. My headache is waning. 3/5.

No comments: