Monday, February 25, 2008

315. Machine Head / The Blackening. 2007. 3.5/5

I haven't heard much Machine Head, though I saw them support Slayer a few years ago and thought they sounded good live. What caught my attention was that when this was released, it went straight to #1 in Australia, so I thought I better check it out.

The first thing I should say is that this isn't my preferred genre of metal, but it certainly is the genre of the current generation. Having said that, this album is pretty good. Okay, it isn't groundbreaking, and there isn't much new going on here. However, it has all the right ingredients to keep you coming back for another listen. The pace of the album generates the kind of tempo you want in a metal album. The drums roll constantly, the double kick working overtime in retaining the rhythm, the guitars duelling perfectly in all the right places.

I like the fact that the vocals aren't overused or over-abused. They offset the music perfectly. Just on listening to this album and little else of their catalogue, I get the feeling that they blend together well as a band.

It's not all perfect. The songs tend to be a bit long winded, when they could have been tighter and shorter. There are at least two candidates on the album for the skip button after just a few listens. And the more I listen to the album, the more I tire of the growled lyrics, which usually grate on me pretty quickly unless they are of the highest quality.

Favourites for me on the album are “Beautiful Morning”, “Aesthetics Of Hate” and “Wolves”.

Rating: I am impressed enough by my first real taste of Machine Head to follow up on some of their back catalogue. 3.5 / 5.

No comments: