Wednesday, February 27, 2008

328. Midnight Oil / Capricornia. 2002. 3/5.

Everything I have written about Midnight Oil’s album since Blue Sky Mining pretty much relates again here. This being the final release for the Oils doesn’t add any nostalgia.

You can’t blame a band whose musical direction changes, or mellows, over time, especially when that band has been around for as long as Midnight Oil has been. The writing changes, the style changes with it, and the members of the group are of course also changing. Many people may think it’s a change for the better, many will think that the change is unfortunate.
My own personal opinion is that, while the music has changed a ways since their initial albums, so have I, and perhaps my changes have moved me further down the spectrum too.

What we’ve moved into here is easy listening. You don’t jump and down and dance anymore. You sit in your comfy sofa chair and listen with a cup of tea. The songs are still good, and mostly listenable, but they don’t have the same fire anymore.

Best here for me are “Golden Age”, "Been Away Too Long" and “Mosquito March”.

Rating: The end probably came at the right time. 3/5.

No comments: