Thursday, February 21, 2008

303. The Beatles / Beatles For Sale. 1964. 3.5/5

This is probably closer to the era of The Beatles that I enjoy - their early, catchy songs. They are short, radio-friendly tunes, and the album moves along briskly so that there is no chance of getting too bored with any particular song. the fact that they decided to go with so many of other people's songs instead of trusting their own writing skills is somewhat of a mystery however.

I guess there are reasons I enjoy these songs more (overall) that their later albums, and that comes from watching The Beatles cartoon that ran during the 1970's on Saturday morning TV, that had most of these songs entwined into each episode. It was a winning combination.

Favourites for me here include "No Reply", "I'm A Loser", "Baby's In Black", "I'll Follow The Sun" and "Eight Days A Week".

Rating: One of my favourites from The Beatles. 3.5/5

No comments: