Tuesday, February 19, 2008

297. Arch Enemy / Anthems of Rebellion. 2003. 3/5.

I have only recently come into Arch Enemy, and this is the first album I have given a good listen to apart from their most recent release, Rise Of The Tyrant.
This being said, I must make it clear that the growling style of vocals is not at the top of my list. Some I can handle, others I can’t. Here, Angela Gossow is bearable.

What is outstanding is the musicianship. Great guitars and riffs are what makes this album. In fact, every time I have put this album on and heard the music, I still expect a completely different style of vocals to come out. However, as I said, great riffs, good solos and harmonies.

This is a good album. Fans of Arch Enemy will love it. Non-fans will probably despise it. My prejudices about the vocals hold my rating back, but that is only my individual taste.

Favourites for me include “We Will Rise”, “Dead Eyes See No Future”, “Marching On A Dead End Road” and “Despicable Heroes”.

Rating: Overall, an album I could put on occasionally, but not constantly. 3/5.

No comments: