Wednesday, February 20, 2008

301. Avenged Sevenfold / Avenged Sevenfold. 2007. 2/5.

I must say that this was completely different to what I expected when I first chased it.
No doubt, I was expecting something more hard rock than heavy metal, which is what I got. What was surprising to me though was that it seems that this is almost an attempt to ‘update’ an 80’s hair metal album into something that people might want in this decade.
Strange? Yes. Does it work? Hmmm. Not really.

I am at a disadvantage when it comes to Avenged Sevenfold, as this is the first album of theirs that I have heard. Whether it is indicative of their style, or they have developed into this, is something I can’t compare to.
My first thoughts on it was that it was the film soundtrack to a comedy/horror movie, such was the obvious parody of 80’s hair metal in the music. Especially in songs like “A Little Piece Of Heaven”, “Almost Easy” and “Critical Acclaim”, there is a tongue-in-cheek, Guns ‘N’ Roses feel to the lyrical content. Then of course, there is the quite terribly awful attempt at a Skid Row ballad, “Dear God”.

Anyway… for me, it probably isn’t the best thing. Not overly terrible, but it isn’t quite my style.

Rating: Probably try elsewhere. 2/5

No comments: