Thursday, February 28, 2008

331. Stratovarius / The Chosen Ones. 1999. 3/5.

Sometimes you come across a band that everyone is talking about, or that has been recommended to you, and you have to give them a chance. Sometimes, they are brilliant and you wonder why you haven’t been listening to them for years. Others… well… they disappoint you.
Stratovarius for me is one of the second group.

I was recommended these guys by Amazon (yeah I know, why trust them?) and a guy who kept coming into work saying “You gotta HEAR these guys!!”. So I did.
This is their best-of album. By rights, a best-of album should surely rate at least a four out of five if it is done even half properly.
So why can’t I rate this that highly? Well, I guess in truth they are bit too much ‘progressive metal’ for me, rather than ‘power metal’ or any other metal you would like to mention.

The songs here are adequate, and probably is the selection of their best. Unfortunately, I find myself wanting to jump to the next track far too often. The songs are far too similar, and some drag a little too long.

Best for me include "Out of The Shadows", "Twilight Time" and "Father Time"

Rating: An average release. 3/5.

No comments: