Monday, February 25, 2008

318. Mastodon / Blood Mountain. 2006. 2/5.

Following the plethora of amazing reviews Blood Mountain got on its release, and the number of reviewers in the metal world whose opinion I trust who rated this as the best album of 2006, I felt it was time I became acquainted with both this band and this album.
Well, it’s different from what I expected. Metal in the 2000’s is a different beast from what I grew up with. Here, the muddy, sludgy guitar work, the uninspiring vocals, and general lack of originality doesn’t grab me at all.

OK, this is not an opinion that hasn’t been well tested. I’ve given this album a series of at least three good, hard listens, three or four times over, to come to this conclusion. And on all occasions, I found I was unable to get into it at all. The songs were same-ish, and failed to ignite any passion in me.
Again, this is a personal opinion. I’ve a couple of mates who have seen these guys live and say they were fantastic. Perhaps that is true. This album, however, leaves me cold and headachy.

Rating: My outlook differs from most other popular views of this release. 2/5.

No comments: