Monday, February 18, 2008

295. The Buggles / The Age Of Plastic. 1980. 3/5.

I have recently come to the conclusion that I need to track down the albums by those bands dubbed as having “One Hit Wonders”, and see what the rest of their music was like. This was the first one I have dipped into, The Age Of Plastic.

This is pure 80’s sugar pop, perhaps even ahead of its time. The wonderful use of keyboards and synths along with bass guitar and drums, catchy tunes, even catchier lyrics and choruses. Almost everything that made the 80’s what it was in pop music – both good and bad – can be found on this one album.
OK, perhaps its just nostaligia. In 2008, I can listen to music from this era and laugh along, sometimes sing the words, and not feel embarrassed or pressured that I should NOT like it. In 1988, I could never have done it, nor admitted it if I did.
Of course, the song that made me seek out the album is “Video Killed The Radio Star” (my daughters, both under 5, sing every word to this song now). Listening to the album, I find it remarkable that they only made one further album, because they seem to have the plot down pat.

Favourites for me include “Video Killed The Radio Star”, “Living In The Plastic Age”, “I Love You (Miss Robot)” and “Johnny On The Monorail”.

Rating: Pure pop, but considering some of the rubbish that is on the radio today, you can do worse. 3/5.

No comments: