Monday, February 25, 2008

316. Geezer / Black Science. 1997. 1.5/5

I really wanted to like this, if only because the ‘side’ projects of other Black Sabbath alumni are so good. Also, the fact is that Geezer Butler is a living legend, and deserves success.
I guess I was hoping for Black Sabbath, with a different vocalist. I didn’t quite get that.

This is an expansion and a modernization from Geezer’s usual work. The sound that has been generated is an updated look at where the heavy metal sound was heading in the mid-to-late 1990’s. No doubt, Geezer and his band were looking for something different, something visionary perhaps.
To me, what has happened is that the great bass lines that we have come to know and love are hidden beneath a wall of sound that seems to take away from this band and album’s greatest asset. Sure, it may not be my type of metal, but I cannot even really appreciate what they have tried to achieve here.

Not long after this, Black Sabbath ‘reformed’ with the four original members and went on a high level tour. For geezer Butler, I think that was the best thing that could have happened.

Rating: All in all, a huge disappointment. 1.5/5.

No comments: