Friday, February 22, 2008

312. Arch Enemy / Black Earth. 1996. 4/5.

The debut release for Arch Enemy, and I can only say that I was pleasantly surprised when I first got it and put it on.
My initiation to the band was through later releases such as Anthems of Rebellion and Rise of the Tyrant, with Angela Gossage on vocals. While I don’t mind that stuff, Black Earth immediately appealed to me more than either of those two albums. In a way, I guess it is old school stuff, and their roots are where mine are as well.

All the songs are short and sweet, grab-bags of intensity. Johan Axelsson’s vocals are the perfect foil for the musical talents of the band, and to me blend so much better than modern day Arch Enemy - but of course that is just a personal opinion. The bonus at the end of the disc I have are covers of Iron Maiden’s “The Ides Of March” and “Aces High”, which are both excellent as well, and show where their hearts lie.

At a time when bands like Sepultura and Fear Factory were making this style popular, this first album for Arch Enemy is a pearler.

Favourites for me include “Cosmic Retribution”, “Bury Me An Angel” and “Transmigration Macabre”.

Rating: An excellent effort for a debut album. 4/5.

No comments: